When a foreigner intends getting Green Card (GK) or an I-551 card of permanent residence, giving him “residence” status and the right to live and work in the USA, he should go thought the AOS process. The abbreviations “hides” the process name — Adjustment of Status. Most of the applications referring to AOSare taken into the process through a person’s employer or through family relations.